Sunday, August 21, 2011

9 Months to 40

In 9 months, I'm turning 40. I'm not bummed or scared to turn 40. Turning 35 was a big deal for me....not sure why. I felt like I was officially 'middle aged' - not that it's a bad thing!! So, on my 39th birthday this year - May 31 - I ran my first training run. You see, I committed to running a 5 mile leg of the local marathon on a relay team. I'm not sure that was a good move. I started my training by doing the Couch to 5K plan. About a month in, my knee started hurting. Long story short, it was bursitis and finally, a cortisone shot took care of that. Then, my ankles started hurting. Posterior Tibial Tendonitis. I got some really big ankle stabilizers and now they're feeling better.

So, I've been training for 2.5 months and I'm still kind of discouraged. The longest I have run at one time is 10 minutes, and the most I have run in one workout is 22 minutes. I just keep telling myself that at least I'm out there. My goal for my relay leg is to run 1/2 of it - I only have about 5 weeks left..... I also have to/want to lose about 40-50 pounds, so I want to continue running after the race. My husband is also running, but he started training about 3 weeks ago and can run 5 miles, with almost no problem.

I've started blogs before, but just like running, I'm determined to do this thing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment